Saturday, January 7, 2012

SAWCLicious: Mussels with Chorizo

The only two things I bought in Barcelona aside from my souvenir collection (snow globe and magnets) are wine and chorizos. So I have too much chorizos at home and had to see where I can mix this up. I already had chicken with chorizo which was really good. Cooked it during New Year's Eve 2011 and my friends liked it. (That's how supportive they are. *wink) It is like chicken afritada with the chorizo twist.

So going back, I was doing groceries one weeknight and saw a pack of cooked mussels without the shell and had the light bulb idea. Why not make some tapas with the chorizos out of it! And so here is the result, I added left-over ingredients in my fridge and pantry and came up with this beautiful dish.

It tastes good at least for me. :) It has the sweetness of the white wine and a bit spicy. The tomato sauce is thick and the blend of mussels and chorizos just worked really well. The saltiness of the chorizo complemented with the mussels and tomato sauce. Ate it with some toasted bread and wine. I tried it with rice and it was good too.

I think it I can add some shrimps or octopus too. I'll try that next time!

Mussels with Chorizo



Ingredients

  • 10 pcs. small chorizos or sliced chorizos (if you are using the big ones)
  • 1 pack of cooked mussels (around 150-200grams)
  • 1 clove of garlic, minced
  • 1 pc. big shallot, minced (maybe use around 3 pcs. sibuyas tagalog)
  • 1/4 cup white wine
  • 1/3 cup tomato sauce
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 bird's eye red chili, minced (optional) I really just had a lot of chilies at home so I have to use them! It worked really good with the bite of spiciness.
  • 2 tbsp. olive oil
Procedure

  1. Heat pan and add oil. Saute garlic and onion. Once onion become a bit transparent, add the wine. Let it simmer for 1-2 mins.
  2. Bring the heat to medium-low and add the chorizos. Let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
  3. Add the mussels, tomato sauce, and chili. You can add some water if you think the sauce is too thick. Season with salt and pepper. Let it simmer for around 10-15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment