Tuesday, January 3, 2012

SAWCLicious: Stir-fried tofu with vegetables

I really don't know how I should call this dish. This is one of my invented dish with my imagination of what I think can work together. I normally would have broccoli in my fridge as I eat it almost every day. Then, I was talking to my friend (Pia) who was going to have dinner at my place when she mentioned that she misses young corn and wants to eat it. Automatically, I thought of putting tofu, young corn, and broccoli together and it turned out to be a good dish. So, I'm sharing the recipe after I have recreated it again yesterday night.

Stir-fried Tofu with Vegetables
                         



Ingredients
  • 1 pc. firm tofu
  • 1/3 cup sliced pork
  • 8-10 pcs. shrimps
  • 5 pcs. young corn blanched in hot water
  • 3 pcs. shallots sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic sliced
  • Sliced ginger (thumb size)
  • 3-4 tbsp. oyster sauce
  • 3 tbsp. soy sauce
  • cornstarch
  • corn oil
  • sliced leeks for garnishing
  • 1.5 cups of chopped broccoli blanched in hot water
  • 1 carrot sliced diagonally blanched in hot water
  • 3 pcs. dried chinese mushroom soaked in water overnight, drained, and sliced
  • 1/4 cup of water or chicken stock
Tip: You can use shitake mushroom if you can't find chinese mushroom. This is readily available on chinese stores.

Procedure
  1. Marinade pork with soy sauce and 2 tsp. cornstarch for 30 minutes.
  2. Slice tofu to rectangular pieces and pat dry with towel.
  3. Sprinkle cornstarch in a plate and place tofu. Then sprinkle more cornstarch and a dash of salt making sure that the tofu is coated with cornstarch. Fry the tofu until golden brown around 3-4 minutes on each side in medium heat. I normally don't like to deep fry food I eat, so instead of deep frying, I just put around 1/2 of the oil. Once cooked, remove tofu and drain on paper towels.
  4. Heat a separate wok, once it starts to smoke a bit, add some corn oil (you can recycle the one you used to deep fry tofu. Add in pork and saute for around 2 minutes. Then add shallots, garlic, and ginger.
  5. When pork is half-cooked, add in shrimps. Once shrimp is cooked, add carrots, young corn, broccoli, and mushroom. Add water and oyster sauce. Put the tofu in the wok and mix together. Let it simmer for a few minutes, not more than 5 minutes. 
  6. You can thicken the sauce if it's a bit runny. To thicken, dissolve 1 tsp. of cornstarch to 3 tbsp. of water before placing it in the wok.
  7. Garnish with leeks before serving. Best served with rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment