Friday, January 6, 2012

The trouble of learning a new language...

I have been residing Belgium for almost a year and it just doesn't make sense that I can't understand French or Dutch. So, I told myself "Cindy, you gotta learn a language before you leave!" After a few consults with friends, I decided to learn Dutch. So today, I was browsing at BBC and learning the basics of Dutch and stumbled across a website that helps you learn Dutch. It shows you videos with Dutch and English subtitles. So I told myself, "Not bad at all.."
Then, I saw Sesame Street and told myself, "Okay, this would be easy. I know you hated Sesame Street when you were a kid because it's just so slow! But this will let you learn the basics." and Click... and this is what I understood...
Ja, ak? ik? bla bla bla Bert
Nee, Nee, bla bla Ernie
Bla Bla bla Bert
bla bla bla Ernie
which translates to
Yes, ak? ik? bla bla bla Bert
No, No, bla bla Ernie
Bla bla bla Bert
bla bla bla Ernie
and so what did I understand? Nothing, they talk so fast! I only got Yes and No, Bert and Ernie and practically Bert, Ernie, Bert, Ernie...
*sigh* This is so difficult...
To add, I'm enrolling myself in a language course and I have to take an oral exam, so how do you take one if you practically don't know anything besides Ja and Nee... Hmm..

2 comments:

  1. Ik ben Cindy (I am Cindy). Then tell them, to just let you join the course :) hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. ja, ja, exactly what I'm going to tell them. :) Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete