Monday, March 5, 2012

SAWCLicious: Chicken Macaroni Soup (Chicken Sopas)

My friend Pia here in Brussels loves this Filipino soup. Last February, the weather was so cold in Brussels and this soup was just perfect for dinner on a cold night. Not only is it delicious but it is also very easy to prepare the dish. Let me share my version of this macaroni soup.

Chicken Macaroni Soup a.k.a. Chicken Sopas



Ingredients
  • 3 pieces of chicken breast diced
  • 1.5 cups of elbow macaroni
  • 1 cup of diced carrots
  • 1/2 cup of diced red pepper
  • 1.5 - 2 pcs. of diced white onion
  • 1 cup of sliced cabbage
  • 1 bottle/pack of cream
  • 1.5L of water or chicken stock
  • 1 pc. Knorr Chicken Cube in replacement of chicken stock
  • 35 grams of butter
  • 3 tbsp. corn oil
  • salt and pepper
  • Optional a stalk of celery diced. I don't use celery as you can't find a small celery in the groceries here and it's just so huge that it takes up a lot of space in my fridge. 

Procedure
  1. In a pot, heat oil and saute onion. Once it becomes translucent, add butter and let it melt. 
  2. Place the chicken into the pot and season with salt and pepper. Cook chicken for 3-5 minutes. 
  3. Pour the water/chicken stock and bring to a boil. 
  4. Add carrots, red pepper, and celery. Simmer for 20-25 minutes. 
  5. Add the bottle/pack of cream. Then add the elbow macaroni and cook for 3 minutes more than the packaging instruction.
  6. Once done, add the cabbage and cook for another 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

I normally like to take the soup with all the ingredients very soft. As such, once I've placed the cabbage, I would normally simmer for another 20-30 minutes in the lowest heat possible. 

2 comments:

  1. Nice recipe, Cindy! I want to try this soon. :) What I usually do with celery stalks is I slice them and put them in the freezer, so I can use some when I need them. Kept in this way they're good enough for dishes like soup and stew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ratna! Thanks for the idea! I'll definitely do that. :)

      Delete