Sunday, March 18, 2012

SAWCLicious: Chocolate Tiramisu

Last Sunday, I don't know what came into my mind, but I just thought of making a new dessert. This is becoming a habit. For 3 consecutive Sundays this month, I have been making desserts! For those who know me, this is really odd cause I'm not a big fan of sweets. I do know what has inspired me this time is the mascarpone cheese sitting in my fridge. It was the left-over after making my mashed potatoes. So, I thought let me make cake based on what I have and whipped up this cake. I only wished that I could have chilled it longer before serving as it was still too soft when I served it to my friends.
 



Chocolate Tiramisu

Ingredients

  • 4 eggs (yolks separated to the whites)
  • 2-3 boxes of lady fingers (depending on your serving dish)
  • 300mg Mascarpone Cheese
  • White Sugar
  • Water
  • 250ml cream
  • 400ml coffee
  • Chocolate Bar
  • Icing Sugar
  • Chocolate Powder

Procedure
  1. Chop chocolate bars and place in a glass bowl. Place the bowl in a pot with water. Make sure that the water does not touch the bowl. Slowly melt the chocolate in low heat. 
  2. In a pan, heat 4 tbsp. sugar with 4 tbsp. water. Stir until mixture gets a syrupy consistency and set aside. 
  3. Whisk the egg yolks in a bowl and slowly add the syrup. Continue whisking until a  foamy consistency is reached. 
  4. Add the mascarpone into the egg yolk mixture and fold using a spatula. Fold until you don't see any lumps.
  5. Whisk the egg whites in a separate bowl. Slowly add cream and whisk until it becomes foamy.
  6. Fold in the egg white mixture into the egg yolk mixture.

     7. In a dish, lay the ingredients to build the tiramisu. 
    • Start with dipping (even if picture shows it is soaking) the lady fingers for a second. Then create a layer of lady fingers in your dish. 
    • Pour some melted chocolate. 
    • Pour the egg mixture on top.

      8. Create around 3 layers by following Step #7. 
      9. Cover the dish with the transparent plastic and let it chill in the fridge for 8 hours. 


Before serving, dust the top with cocoa powder and some icing sugar.  The melted chocolate will harden as you chill this cake. If you want the chocolate to have a softer texture, add cream as it is being melted.


No comments:

Post a Comment