Thursday, April 26, 2012

SAWCLicious Recipe: Maja Blanca

I haven't eaten maja blanca for a long time! So what do you do when you are not in your home country and you miss the dish? You make them... I can assure you this dish is so easy! Maja blanca is a popular Filipino dessert also called Coconut Pudding normally with some corn bits. It is also a common dessert that can be found in Thailand or China. I found some fresh banana leaves that are made into little square shape from the Chinese Store and thought it would be a good mold for my maja blanca. I made a little twist with this dessert by making it creamier like the ones I've tasted in Thailand before. Then I topped it with some toasted coconut that was given to me by a friend who came from the Philippines. My friend loved the maja blanca and the banana wraps so much!





Maja Blanca
Ingredients
  • 1L Coconut Milk
  • 1/2 can of condensed milk
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 125 grams of whole sweet kernel corn
  • 3/4 cup fresh cream or whole milk mixed with 3/4 cup of cornstarch until diluted

Procedure
  1. Heat the coconut milk in a pot. Once it starts boiling, pour the condensed milk, white sugar, and corn.  Let it simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  2. Add the fresh cream with cornstarch mixture. Keep stirring until it thickens.
  3. Placed it in your mold and use a spatula to flatten the top. 
  4. Place at room temperature for 30 minutes and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
  5. Garnish with the toasted coconut before serving.
Tip: Instead of placing the coconut milk in the pot, I heated the pot and poured the coconut milk. I made sure I keep stirring once I poured it in.  As a result, toasted/burned coconut will accumulate at the bottom of the pot and when you keep stirring will result to the maja blanca having some toasted coconut bits inside. It adds more flavor to the dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment