Thursday, May 3, 2012

SAWCLicious: Salted Fish Fried Rice

Whenever I invite friends for brunch or dinner, I always end up having too much food in my fridge. So I always try to be creative in cooking new dishes based on the left-over food. Last time that I hosted a brunch, I got luck with the left-overs. I had a bowl of white rice in the fridge, dried salted mackerel fish (from the Stewed Mung Beans), lettuce (from the lettuce wrap), and chicken thigh fillet. I realized these are ingredients for a famous Chinese Fried Rice! What a delight as I missed this dish. So I've tried the dish with the help of some research from the Internet and came up with my own recipe. It was easy to cook it and I basically ate it for the next 2 days. What's good is I didn't have to cook any meat anymore as I can eat this fried rice as it is. It turned out to be really good and I liked the end result!

Salted Fish Fried Rice



Ingredients

  • 2 salted fish soaked in water for 30 minutes and flaked removing the bones.
  • 3 chicken thigh fillet sliced into small cubes
  • 4 cups of white rice (refrigerated for a few days)
  • 3 eggs scrambled
  • 1/3 cup frozen green peas
  • 1 cup sliced lettuce
  • 3 cloves of garlic minced
  • 1-2 tsp of chicken powder
  • 3 tbsp. corn oil
  • 1-2 tbsp. soy sauce
  • White Pepper
  • 1 tbsp. fish sauce
  • 1/2 tsp. sugar
  • Salt
  • Chives or Spring Onions for garnishing
Procedure
  1. Heat oil in a wok. Add garlic and saute for 1-2 minutes. Then add chicken and salt. Stir fry until chicken is cooked. 
  2. Remove salted fish from water and add into the wok. Add the rice, soy sauce, fish sauce, green peas, chicken powder, and sugar. Season with white pepper. Stir-fry and mix in the rice.
  3. Add the cooked scrambled eggs and lettuce and mix into the rice. Taste the rice, if it's not salty, add more fish sauce. Garnish with some chives/spring onions.


No comments:

Post a Comment