Thursday, November 8, 2012

SAWCLicious: Beef Pita

I am back with my cooking explorations. After taking time off for a few months, I've started cooking again and this time I wanted to focus on cooking some healthy food. I don't know how long this fad will last but I've started to eating a lot of fruits for snacks, avoiding rice, and trying out healthy and delish food. 

So, I've tried to cook beef pita. It's actually a lot more chopping and mixing than cooking. It turned out to be really good and very fulfilling too!


 Beef Pita



Ingredients for the beef

  • 2 cups of beef strips (I used the part used for Beef Stroganoff)
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 3 cloves of garlic minced
  • 1 white onion minced
  • 1 tbsp. oregano
  • salt and pepper
  • 2 tbsp. corn oil/ olive oil

Ingredients for Pita

  • Pita bread
  • 1 cup of sliced cabbage mixed with 2 tbsp. of lime juice
  • 1 cup of minced tomato
  • 1/4 cup of minced red onion 
  • Garlic Sauce (1 cup of sour cream mixed with 2 tbsp. garlic powder, 3 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. sugar)
  • parsley for garnishing
  • tabasco hot sauce
  • 1-2 sliced lime wedges

Procedure

  1. In a pan, heat oil  and saute garlic and onion. 
  2. Once onion becomes transparent mix in beef, bay leaves, oregano. Season with salt and pepper.
  3. Once beef is cooked, let it simmer for 15 minutes.
  4. To prepare the pita, add some beef strips, tomato, onion, cabbage, garlic sauce, and hot sauce.
I think it would be best to also use beef flank instead and simmer for 2-3 hours. It would look like pulled pork but beef.

No comments:

Post a Comment