Sunday, May 5, 2013

SAWCLicious: Ricotta Pancakes in Tomato Sauce (Jamie Oliver Recipe)

It's been such a long time that I have not updated my blog. There had been a lot of stuff going on and was not able to blog what I've been cooking. Today, I have a few minutes to spare and create a short post.

I was watching Jamie Oliver's 30 minute recipes a few weeks back and saw an easy recipe that intrigues as I've never tasted one before. I was not able to catch the name so I named it as ricotta pancakes. It was easy to cook and a good appetizer to serve. It's light and taste really good (especially if you like ricotta cheese).


Ricotta Pancake

Ingredients for the Ricotta Pancake (4 small pancakes)


  • 200 grams of Ricotta Cheese
  • 2 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 tbsp. flour
  • 1 tsp. grated nutmeg
  • 2 tsp. lemon juice (Jamie Oliver used lemon zest but I didn't have any today)
  • salt & pepper
Ingredients for the Tomato Sauce

  • 3 pcs. anchovies
  • 3 cloves garlic into a garlic crusher
  • 200ml tomato passata
  • 4 white mushroom sliced
  • 10 basil leaves
  • Dried crushed red chili peppers
  • salt and pepper
  • black olives (optional)
  • Olive Oil
To make ricotta pancakes, just mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Make small pancake and pan-fry using a non-stick pan at low-medium heat. I cooked each side for around 3-5 minutes. Look at my pan below, I only used around 1 tbsp. of olive oil to pan-fry them as I am trying to cut out oil in my diet.


For the tomato sauce, I sauteed garlic and anchovies in olive oil. After 1-2 minutes, add the mushrooms into the pan. As the mushrooms softens, pour the tomato passata and crushed red chili peppers. Season it with salt and pepper and simmer for 5-10 minutes. Then add basil leaves and simmer for another 5 minutes. I like my sauce spicy so I added a lot of red chili peppers.

Plating it together is easy. Place the pancakes in a plate and a generous amount of tomato sauce. Voila, an appetizer cooked in a few minutes! Thanks to Jamie Oliver. 

No comments:

Post a Comment