Saturday, March 24, 2012

SAWCLicious: Tonkatsu and Home-made Tonkatsu Sauce

Konichiwa! I've been cooking Chinese, Filipino, and other International cuisine. Just the other day, I've ventured to try out Japanese cuisine. I tried cooking Tonkatsu for the first time and my ultimate goal is to have this perfected so that I can cook Katsudon. Tonkatsu is simply a breaded, deep-fried pork cutlet then sliced into bite-sized portions. It is normally served with Miso Soup and shredded cabbage. A very simple recipe...

On a weekday, I challenged myself to cook this and make a home-made tonkatsu sauce. My food testers did like the end result. I was only happy on my tonkatsu sauce as the pork was a bit thick and a bit dry. I couldn't pound it any thinner because I didn't have a meat tenderizer/pounder. 

It's a very simple recipe and you can opt not to deep-fry it.

Tonkatsu and Home-made Tonkatsu Sauce


Ingredients

For the Tonkatsu 
  • Pork Cutlet without bones
  • Dried Panko Bread Crumbs
  • Tempura Batter or flour
  • Salt
  • 1 egg
  • Oil

For the Tonkatsu Sauce
  • 1/4 cup Ketchup
  • 2-3 tbsp. kikoman sauce
  • 3 tbsp. worcest shire sauce
  • a drop of sesame oil
  • a dash of dried garlic powder


Procedure
  1. Wrap the pork cutlet in a transparent film and pound with a meat tenderizer until around 1/2 inch thich. Then rub some salt in the pork.
  2. Heat pan or deep fryer with oil. Dip the pork in flour, beaten egg, then dried pankobread crumbs. Do not mix-up the order. It should be in the order of flour, egg, and crumbs. Make sure that you coat the pork completely!
  3. Fry the pork around 3 mins at each side. The time would really depend on the thickness of the pork. Once cooked, place on top of some tissue to absorb excess oil and leave for 5 minutes before slicing.
  4. You can serve on top of shredded cabbage.
  5. For the tonkatsu sauce, just mix everything together and taste. You can add more kikkoman sauce or worcestshire depending on your liking.

No comments:

Post a Comment