Friday, March 23, 2012

SAWCLicious: Longganisa - Filipino Breafkast Sausage

Filipino breakfast is normally served with a warm meal. Yes, we eat rice together with sausages, egg, or even fried fish. One thing that I definitely miss are the Filipino sausages that we call longganisa. Influenced from Chorizo by the Spaniards, Filipinos have their own version of sausage called longganisa. There are different varieties of this sausage depending on the region you come from. We have garlic longanisa or the simple sweet ones. They are served normally with some atchara (Filipino version of sauerkraut), sunny-side up egg, and garlic fried rice. 



The sad part is you don't normally get these filipino sausages in the Asian stores here in Brussels. To add, some of the longanisa mix are not that good. Recently, I have made a discovery! I have found the McCormick Longganisa mix hamonado and basically refers to a  sweet longganisa seasoning mix. I'm not paid to advertise this product at all but I'm telling you this is really good. Just follow the instruction and mix the seasoning with 400grams of ground pork. I use a foil to roll it so that it is shaped like a sausage and I store them in the freezer for a few days before I cook them up.  Just defrost and pan-fry the sausages and it's a perfect breakfast.

I recently served it to my Filipino friends for brunch and they say it was just perfect! So when you get to visit Manila or have someone coming over from Manila, make sure you ask to buy one of this. I can't find them so far in the Asian stores so I think they are not exporting yet. Calling McCormick!! Bring it to Europe, it'll be a hit.

This is how a good brunch looks like!

No comments:

Post a Comment