Thursday, March 22, 2012

SAWCLicious: Italian Meatballs

We had a welcome dinner for my friend and I wanted to serve some European dishes. I started browsing for Italian recipes when I happened to see Italian Meatballs. So, I did some research of different Italian Meatballs recipe and created with my own version. This is the first time I've cooked them and I really like it! Try it and let me know. It is served good with mashed potatoes or topped in pasta with parmesan cheese.

Italian Meatballs



Ingredients

For the meatballs

  • 300grams ground pork
  • 300grams ground beef
  • 2 tbsp. ricotta cheese
  • 2 tbsp. parmesan cheese
  • 1 onion minced
  • 2 cloves of garlic minced
  • 1 full egg and 2 egg yolks
  • 2 tbsp. cornstarch
  • 2-3 tbsp. dry breadcrumbs (Panko Japanese Style breadcrumbs)
  • salt & pepper


For the sauce


  • 3 cloves of garlic minced
  • 500grams of canned chopped tomatoes
  • 9-10 leaves of fresh basic
  • 4 tbsp. tomato paste
  • 3/4 cup water
  • Flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
  • Parmesan Cheese grated
  • 3 tbsp. olive oil

Procedure
1. Heat olive oil in a pan and saute garlic. Add the tomato paste and stir for a minute. Then, pour in the canned tomatoes, water, and add the basil in the pan. Simmer in low heat.


2. While cooking the sauce, prepare the meatballs. Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Shape the meat mixture into small balls and place it in the pan with the tomato sauce. Cook the meatballs for 15-20 minutes at each side.

Note: You can fry the meatballs first before adding it to the sauce. To fry the meatballs, dip in beaten egg and flour. Fry for 3 minutes at each side and place in the pot with tomato sauce.


3. Sprinkle parsley and parmesan cheese before serving.

Italian Meatballs in Tagliatelle Pasta


3 comments:

  1. will have to try this next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to surprise my husband when he comes home with this. I can almost smell the sauce from the screen! Can I substitute olive oil with other cooking oils?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting my blog. I do hope your husband would like this dish. You can substitute olive oil with other cooking oils. I personally prefer olive oil or EVOO as I like its fragrance when used in this dish.

      Delete