Tuesday, May 15, 2012

SAWCLicious: Chinese Chicken Adobo

I was quite busy with work for the past few weeks. I guess it was evident because I was not able to update my blog with new recipes. No matter how busy I get with work, I still make sure that I make a home-cooked meal that I can enjoy for dinner. I was so tired last week that I thought I can just cook Adobo, the Chinese Style that we cook at home. In this way, I can keep some in the fridge for dinner the next day.

By this time, I guess you would wonder what do I mean by Chinese Adobo? I consider adobo a Chinese style if it has hard-boiled eggs or potatoes or taro. Normally, the adobo is sweeter, with generous sauce (not dry), and definitely not too sour.

Chinese Chicken Adobo



Yes, I was this tired. I took the picture while the chicken is cooking and couldn't even plate it nicely!

Ingredients
  • 1/2 kilo chicken
  • 2 medium potatoes (1 large potato) peeled and quartered
  • 2-3 hard-boiled eggs (shells removed)
  • 3 cloves of garlic minced
  • 1 white onion minced
  • 1/2 cup soy sauce
  • 3 tbsp. oyster sauce
  • 1/8 cup white vinegar
  • 1/8 cup sugar
  • 1 star anise
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 tbsp. Chinese cooking wine
  • Salt & Pepper
  • 4 tbsp. Corn Oil

Procedure
  1. In a pot, heat oil ans saute garlic and onion. Add chicken and all the other ingredients except for potatoes and carrots. Cover and cook for around 20 minutes.
  2. Add the potatoes and cook for another 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked. 
  3. Add the hard-boiled eggs and cook for another 5 minutes.
  4. Serve with hot rice!
Note: For even better tasting chicken, marinade them for at least 1 hour in soy sauce, oyster sauce, vinegar, anise, and cooking wine. Then just pour the chicken together with the marinade in the pot after sauteing garlic and onion. You can also add pork slices.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Cindy... finally got around to try this. I loved it! Your recipes are really amazing and so easy to follow for a non-cooking expert like me. Looking forward to trying out more dishes from your site - Cha Yap :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cha! Thank you. I am very glad that you like the recipes and that it is easy to follow for other people. Definitely smiling and happy that someone is taking benefit and reading my blog. :)

      Delete