Sunday, June 3, 2012

Milano ITA: La Ricetta di Mame

During my recent Swiss Trip, Rhea and I are deciding to spend a day out of Switzerland. We were deciding between Munich and Milan as I have not been to those places yet and are both drive-able from Bern. As there's a good weather forecast in Milan, we opted for Milan instead. Being food enthusiasts, our ultimate goal is to enjoy good food in the city. We searched through Trip Advisor trying to find a local Italian food. Our criteria is simple: no gourmet, no fuzz, and no fusion restaurant, just plain authentic Italian food. We discovered a recently opened restaurant, 15 minutes away from the city center, ranked 17 out of 2000+ restaurants and with good food reviews. I was a bit hesitant at first, I'm imagining a type of small restaurant run by Italian family instead of a chic restaurant like this. Little did I know that it will leave such a good impression of Milan's food.

La Ricetta di Mame is owned by 3 good-looking, warm, and friendly Italians: Luca, Luca, and Enrico. They speak good English which made it very easy for us to order. All throughout lunch time, they ensured we are well taken cared off and are very sensitive to what we need. 

It was not difficult to find the restaurant. There are also parking spots in the streets and we were lucky to get a spot at once. The restaurant is well lit and has a chic modern ambiance with Italian wines hanging in the walls as their main accents. It has a homey feeling and high ceiling walls.


We started off with some freshly baked bread dipped in olive oil and balsamic vinegar accompanied with our red wine. It's a sweet red wine that my friend Rhea chose and two thumbs up for this Poliziano wine.

Our first order arrived and we were completely blown away. We ordered Risotto mantecato con asparagi verdi de mentuccia as our primi which was also highly recommended by Enrico (one of the owners). It is a simple risotto dish with asparagus and very very delicious. I have to say, this is the best risotto dish I have eaten by far. It's a perfectly cooked and perfectly seasoned risotto. My friends completely agrees with this verdict as well. I think I can eat 2 orders of this and would definitely be willing to go back to Milan just to have this again. Best part is it only costs 10 Euro!

For my secondi, I ordered Costoletta di Vitello alla milanese alta con osso cotta nel burro chiarificato servita con una schiaciatta di patate norbida e pesto primavera (Euro 14). I know, it is a very long name and definitely worth to order. It looks very plain but is very delicious. It's veal chops cooked in Milanese style served with mashed potato and some pesto sauce. I am not a big fan of veal but the veal chop was perfectly cooked. It was very tender and very well seasoned. Even if it is fried, you don't get tired of eating this dish. The mashed potatoes is lightly seasoned and matches the veal perfectly. It might be too dry for others but I think the owners may be very flexible in providing you some sauce if you ask for it.

My friends ordered the Fiorentina e costata di Fassona con contorni (Eur 5/100grams). This is a big steak that they are famous for. The steak is taken from locally bred Italian Bio Cows. They normally weigh more than one kilo for 1 order so it is best for sharing. The one we got is 1.3 kg. It came with 3 side dishes: artichokes, spinach, and potatoes. The steak is very tender and perfectly grilled. I personally preferred if it could be seasoned better and probably served with some steak sauce. Also, since the cow is a bio one, expect that there's not much fat on the steak. Being an Asian, I am used to eating steak with some fat in it making it taste much much better. The potatoes are delicious but I didn't like the sauteed spinach. I do think, this is probably how Italians serve steak. It is really good but I've tasted much better ones especially in Manila and United States.

Overall, I really like the experience and would recommend it to anyone who would want to visit Milan. You should really try their risotto and veal chops! Great value of money for such delicious food. We were very satisfied with our lunch. Below is a picture with the owners.  

La Ricetta di Mame website
Via Vigevano, 34 | 20100 Milano

2 comments:

  1. the risotto was to die for! :) Your secondi...which i can't pronounce looks good as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You should try when you get to visit Milan again. :)

      Delete