Wednesday, November 28, 2012

SAWCLicious: Grilled Scallops with Pea Puree

Christmas is in the air! It's almost December and my weekends are already packed with so much activities. I am looking forward to reunions, food, gift-shopping and gift-giving. Not to even mention more holidays and vacation days....weee!

Anyway, I'm on to my cooking adventures... Yes, you heard me right. In spite having to work for 12 hours a day, I am still able to set some time to cook. My aim nowadays is to cook healthy and nutritious food.

This time I tried a Jamie Oliver recipe with a twist. Grilled scallops sitting on a bed of pea puree and topped with spinach sauteed in garlic can make a perfect refreshing appetizer on a weekday. In my case, a perfect breakfast before going to the office. You might be wondering, pea puree?!? I had the same reaction until I tried it. Eating just the pea puree is not that good but it is perfect with the scallops and spinach. What do you think?

Scallops with Pea Puree and Sauteed Spinach



Ingredients
  • 1 cup of frozen peas
  • 1 tbsp. butter (can be replaced with olive oil instead)
  • 1.5 cups chicken stock
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2-3 pcs. big scallops
  • 1 cup of raw spinach
  • 2 cloves of garlic sliced
  • salt & pepper
Procedure (20 minutes)
  1. Prepare the pea puree first by heating a pan with olive oil or butter. Once butter melts, add the peas. Stir for a few minutes and add the chicken stock. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
  2. Season the scallops with salt and pepper and grill each side for 2-3 minutes (depending on the size of the scallops).
  3. Once done, drain the peas and place it in a blender. You can pour some milk to balance the consistency of the puree. It doesn't taste good when it's too thick.
  4. In a wok or separate pan, add 1-2 tbsp. olive oil and saute garlic. Once it starts to brown, add the spinach and season with salt and pepper.
  5. Plate all the cooked items together and voila it's time to eat!

2 comments: